Tropical Sweet N' Savoury Wraps

If you asked me what my favourite flavour combo was, I might have to say sweet and savoury . In particular, I love the way sweet fruit pa...


If you asked me what my favourite flavour combo was, I might have to say sweet and savoury. In particular, I love the way sweet fruit pairs so well with sour, salty and spicy flavours. These delicious wraps hit all of those notes, as well as offer a great mix of textures. They are sweet from mango, maple and apple; savoury from red onion, garlic, black pepper, avocado, cucumber, salt and coconut aminos; sour from lime juice; and spicy from chili powder. They are creamy thanks to avocado, but also crunchy thanks to crisp apple pieces, and crunchy red onion and savoy cabbage. They are an exciting, fresh, messy and thoroughly delightful mouthful of happiness.

I have been really into tropical fruit this month. In fact I've more or less eaten mango all January. I love it so much in so many recipes. It may be my favourite fruit! In an effort to expand my fruit for the month I picked up this beautiful pitaya (dragon fruit).


All I can say about this new-to-me fruit is I was a bit let down. I'd heard rumours that the flavour was a tad watery and boring but hoped they were wrong. Unfortunately that's more or less how I felt about it. My husband and I didn't even finish it in the end. Determined to have some tropical flavour I returned to my trusted mango obsession and made these wraps. I'm glad I did. They were my very delicious breakfast. I know I know, weird breakfast choice, but trust me, they really hit the spot!


If you like pitaya, I mean no offense. It's not that I didn't find the taste somewhat pleasing, its more that it didn't blow me away the way the fruit's physical beauty did. Mango however, mango is my fav. It takes center stage in today's recipe. If you enjoy mango too, give my recipe a try!



Tropical Sweet N' Savoury Wraps
  • Savoy cabbage leaves (I used 4-5), washed and dried
  • 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1 apple, green or ambrosia work well, chopped, skin on
  • 1/2-1 mango, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 large avocado
  • pinch pink salt
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp coconut aminos
  • garlic powder (1/2-1 tsp)
  • 1 lime, juice of
  • a few cranks fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1/2-1 tsp maple syrup
  • chili powder or hot sauce
  • toasted sesame oil (optional)
Place mango pieces, apple pieces, garlic, half the lime juice, red onion, salt, aminos, maple, pepper and as much chili as you like, and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with 1 tsp of aminos and a tiny pinch of salt and garlic powder until creamy.

Divide the avocado cream among the cabbage leaves. Top each with equal amounts of the mango mixture. Drizzle the juices from the mango mix over everything. Eat like tacos or wraps.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.