Vegan Deluxe Pizza with GF Sweet Potato Crust

I have been craving PIZZA lately. But I don't think pizza is something I should eat often as it usually makes me queasy and I am not a...

I have been craving PIZZA lately. But I don't think pizza is something I should eat often as it usually makes me queasy and I am not a fan of store bought vegan cheeze, so I created a few healthy pizza recipes to enjoy. This is my latest and greatest spin on vegan pizza, my Vegan Deluxe Pizza with gluten free Sweet Potato Crust!

I made this single serving pizza for myself for brunch on Sunday. It was so delicious. I think I can count the number of vegan pizzas I've made in my life on one hand so I was very impressed with myself when this turned out so well and totally crushed my pizza cravings. Did I mention this pizza is super healthy and gluten-free? It is! In fact its kind of like a huge serving of vegetables disguised as a pizza. What could be better than that?!



Like veggie burgers, I strongly believe that vegan pizzas are only great when loaded to the max with delicious toppings. Mine was buckling under a mass of veggies and a homemade vegan butternut squash cheeze sauce that I can't get enough of lately. If you try this recipe, I heartily encourage you to do the same and stick to veggies you already associate with pizza like olives, tomatoes, zucchini and peppers. You want to trick your brain a bit with familiar flavours and textures so I don't recommend piling on the fennel on such a pizza. Stick to the classics.

My second tip is use a good pizza sauce. I buy mine from an Italian company, and having been to Italy I can say that the flavour is authentic. Don't try to substitute plain tomato sauce unless you're going to add some oregano to it.

The crust of this pizza is really cool! It's full of healthy grain free and gluten free ingredients like golden yam, buckwheat and quinoa! It's also yeast-free! It offers some vegan protein and is way better for you than a giant ball of floury dough. Its very thin and soft yet firm. It gets crisp on the edges, golden brown on the bottom, and you can hold it by hand weighed down by toppings without it breaking apart! Win.


The cheeze sauce is a very healthy cheese substitute and very creamy. Its base is butternut squash which is a hearty tasting but surprisingly low calorie vegetable. It provides a nutty flavour and smooth base with a vibrant orange hue reminiscent of cheddar cheese. The nooch in the recipe is a must as it provides that cheezy flavour. You can swap it for miso if you prefer a milder cheeziness. I use tapioca starch in the recipe to hold the cheeze together slightly as it bakes, giving it the gooey quality of real cheese. I am not saying this tastes just like real cheese. It doesn't, but it tastes great and cheezy anyways and it goes really well on this pizza!

This recipe is a great healthy gluten free and vegan alternative to pizza. Give it a try!


VEGAN DELUXE PIZZA 

Sweet Potato Crust (grain-free, gluten free, vegan)
  • 1 cup golden yam (white sweet potato), peeled and chopped small and steamed or boiled until soft
  • 3 tbsp quinoa flakes
  • 2-3 tbsp buckwheat flour
  • pinch pink salt
  • 1 tbsp nooch
  • a few cranks black pepper
  • water to thin (about 1/2-2/3 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1.5 tsp coconut milk powder
  • 1-2 tbsp evoo
Preheat oven to 430F.
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth and thick batter is created. Scrape onto the centre of a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread out evenly into either a rectangle or circle. Try to make sure the batter is the same thickness across the shape you make with it. Thin is fine but see through is not, aim for 3/4" thickness at least. 

Bake in an oven until the edges brown and you can lift it easily off the paper when you raise a corner with your fingers. Make toppings and cheeze sauce while it bakes.This takes a bout 5-10 minutes.


Butternut Cheeze Sauce:

  • 1.5 cups peeled and chopped, steamed until soft
  • squeeze lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp evoo or coconut oil
  • 2-4 tbsp nooch (depends on your taste) or 1-2 tbsp miso paste
  • water to thin
  • 1-2 tsp tapioca starch
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • a few cranks black pepper
  • pinch pink salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • chili powder or red hot (optional)
Puree all ingredients together until smooth and thick with an immersion blender or food processor or standard blender. Use cheeze as is or add a little water and blend to thin to a sauce that will cover the whole pizza (I add 1/4 cup water and blend well). Set aside until pizza crust is cooked.

Once pizza crust is cooked according to the instructions above, top with toppings and cheeze sauce.

Pizza Toppings:
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce
  • chopped red onion
  • chopped kale
  • chopped green or black olives
  • tomato slices
  • zucchini slices
  • bell pepper slices
  • 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
  • prepared butternut cheeze sauce
  • a little nooch, evoo, garlic powder, chili powder or hot sauce and black pepper
Top the pizza base with tomato sauce, then your toppings of choice and finally the cheeze sauce. Return to the hot oven for a few minutes so everything gets hot and the crust cooks more. Slice and enjoy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.