Two bite jam thumbprint cookies (gluten free, vegan)

Let's start 2016 on a healthy but sweet note shall we? Continuing on with my New Year's theme of bite sized treats to crush your ...


Let's start 2016 on a healthy but sweet note shall we? Continuing on with my New Year's theme of bite sized treats to crush your cravings for sweets, I present these irresistible two-bite jam thumbprint cookies...


Sweet, fruity, buttery and rich, these tiny cookies are a new favourite. I should really start by saying I usually only enjoy jam on top of peanut butter. I tend to hate it by itself -- especially by itself on toast. So I was totally surprised when I had a weird craving for jam topped cookies, made them and fell totally in love with them. 



The cookie dough is rich and crumbly like shortbread, but healthier as its made with wholegrain brown rice flour and digestion-friendly arrowroot starch. You'd never guess this recipe was gluten free and vegan! The dough is sweetened with low glycemic coconut sugar and vitamin-rich maple syrup. Butter is left out altogether -- I went with a healthy vegan fat instead -- virgin coconut oil. The dough holds together well, with a lovely crumbly texture and rich sweet buttery taste. Instead of icing sugar or chocolate on top, I chose to fill the tiny thumbprints in the top of the cookies with some no sugar added blackcurrant jam. The jam I use is sweetened with grape juice and fruit making it a slightly healthier choice. I chose blackcurrant flavour because I wanted a sweet and tart cookie. I don't like overly sweet desserts so when I pair a sweet dough with something, its usually slightly tart or bitter (think chocolate or citrus) to provide a nice contrast of flavours. I love sweet and sour/bitter in desserts.



If you like Hamentaschen cookies (which I LOVE!), these will be very reminiscent. They were the first thing that came to mind when I took my first bite of my cookies. If you plan to make my recipe I recommend using blackcurrant jam like I did or any popular Hamentaschen fillings that you enjoy -- poppyseed, lemon, apricot, raspberry, blueberry, chocolate, strawberry, cherry, peanut butter?, and prune are some of the most popular fillings.

However you fill them, these cookies are insanely good and so tiny and healthified that you don't need to feel any guilt about eating one...or 5.



TWO BITE JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES

COOKIE DOUGH:
DRY INGREDIENTS:
  • 1.5 cups brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4-1/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Blend dry ingredients together in a food processor until well mixed. Add the following and blend:
WET INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 4.5 tbsp solid virgin coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Blend in wet ingredients and TASTE IT: is it sweet enough? Add either extra coconut sugar or maple to sweeten the dough to your taste. After wet ingredients have been blended in your dough should be semi wet and crumbly. Add a little splash of water or non dairy milk and blend until a smooth soft dough forms. Scoop out teaspoon sized amounts of dough and gently roll each clump into a smooth ball. Arrange the balls of dough evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cup a ball in your palm gently and press your thumb or a smaller finger to make a dent in the middle, Place back on the baking sheet and repeat to make dents in all the balls. Place baking sheet in freezer for 30 minutes. After 20 minutes, preheat oven to 370F. Once the balls have been chilled, bake them in the hot oven for 10-13 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and semi-firm to the touch.

  • NO SUGAR ADDED JAM
Once cookies are room temperature, grab your favourite jam. Spoon out 1/2 tsp of jam into the dent of each of the cookies. Serve immediately or store in fridge or cookie tins for later.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.